Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What to "do with" Snow?! Part 1


I have met many people lately that have moved to Minnesota, from other warmer states, and as I was clearing snow off my car this morning, I was wondering how many of them know much about "what to do with" snow. So I thought I would share with my readers, a few tips what to do with snow. This is part one, fun things.

Today, fun things to do:

1. Sledding of course! When sledding, make sure the area you are sledding is clear at the bottom of the hill, at least 50 feet farther than you think you will need. You will be surprised how far you keep sliding before you come to a stop! Also, the warmer it is, the more slippery the snow. Hard packed snow is also more slippery.

2. Cross country skiing. This takes a bit of practice, but once you get it used to it, it is a great way to see the winter wonderland around you. There are lots of ski trails offered in snowy areas, such as MN. I have usually found them in state and county parks. But there are also groomed trails (this means the snow is packed for skiers) at golf courses and college campuses in the winter. These trails can be free, or cost a few dollars per person to use. Also, many sport shops will have rental skis and boots available. They can even wax the skis for you before you leave the shop.

3. Broomball! This is probably one of the more dangerous fun actives utilizing the ice. You might want to wear you knee pads for this one. It is a sport sort of like hockey, accept you use a broom balls stick, or a broom with its bristles cut off, or rapped tightly in duct tape, a ball instead of a puck, and you were street shoes or broom ball shoes instead of ice skates. You can find more information on this sport here.

There are other activities to do in snowy weather, but these are the 3 that came to mind for me today.

Do you have any favorite actives in the winter, inside or outside? I would love to hear from you, please send me your thoughts below. Thanks! :-)

0 Comments: